Saturday, February 9, 2008

Mixed feelings

As most of you know, I have a son stationed in Korea. We were talking via instant messaging last night about his future. He told me that he wants to be deployed to Iraq. As a mother, I don't want him in Iraq, but he has some very valid reasons for wanting to go. He is a LT in the Army. He has a chance to make the military his career and said that he wants to see what the Army is like in war before he makes a long term decision. He also has had classmates and good friends killed in Iraq. He feels that he should serve a turn there just as others have. The third reason he gives is that with a war going on, he needs to have a combat patch to really advance a career in the military. He could get a combat patch by being deployed to Kuwait/Qatr, but he feels that is the easy way out. He told me that he knew what he was getting into when he signed his contract. He knows that Iraq is very dangerous and that he could be killed. He said he doesn't want to die, but he's willing to take that risk to serve the country. Right now, he won't be deployed to Iraq because of the field he's in. He's probably going to be going to Ft. Bragg in May. Knowing my son, he will find a way to be deployed. I am proud of him and I support his decisions. I don't know many 24 year olds who compare to my child. But, I also worry.

5 comments:

Gayle said...

Reinasis, I know you are so proud of your son, and his reasons are valid and admirable. I also know that as a mother, you have to be pretty fearful as to what could happen. I want you to know I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Love ya, Sista!

Anonymous said...

I don't think a single person could blame you for those mixed feelings. I can't imagine anyone wanting their child to go to Iraq. I would be terrified.

Anonymous said...

Sista, you have every right to have mixed feelings. You also have every right to be proud of the young man you raised. I'm proud of him for his convictions and his plans for his future. You did a fine job raising your sons. He is always in my prayers as all our military around the world.

Reinagirl said...

Thank you, brandy, jami and sista. Having friends is what makes it easier to have him so far away. I appreciate all of you so much.

Anonymous said...

Sista we appreciate you for so many reasons. Know we are here for you as we know you are here for us.