Friday, June 13, 2008

Differences

There are differences between men and women. We all know that. Being a woman, I can't really explain the way men think and feel. But I do know how women think and feel. Well, at least I know how I think and feel. I was reminded of an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond tonight. I know, corny show. But, in one episode, Raymond comes home to find Deborah sitting on the couch crying. For no reason. She's just crying. That's how I felt tonight. I had no reason to cry. I had to go to Hale Center for work, but that wasn't stressful, only time consuming when I didn't want to be working. I don't think men cry for no reason, but I could be wrong.
Some women are needy. They are always in crisis mode and always have others fawning over them and helping them. I don't think I am one of those women. In fact, I've been told that I'm strong and don't need anyone. I hope that's not entirely true. I think we all need someone sometimes. I am strong in the sense that I don't want to be perceived as the helpless, woe is me, type of woman. I refuse to be that person.
I guess my point is that even self-sufficient women have feelings. Unfortunately, most people don't want to believe that. To me, it's easier to look strong and hide any needs so that the ones who always look for sympathy can have it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sista, I too can cry for no reason. Not often but I do. I think, unlike our mothers, we tend to carry more on our shoulders and have learned to keep emotions inside and not let anyone know we have weak moments. For myself, crying is a sign of weakness and I wish I could get over that.

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is super random, but I found a thread you posted when searching through google for The Heart Gallery of The South Plains. After I saw a thread you posted about being a CPS worker, I went to your blog. Anyway, I am a student at Texas Tech and I am actually doing a project on CPS. I have to meet with 5 people that deal with the CPS and since you are a caseworker I think you may have a lot to offer. Anyway if you would be willing to meet with me at any time, please let me know via e-mail. My e-mail address is katie.casse@ttu.edu. I would really appreciate it, and I understand if you wouldn't want to. Thank you!

Reinagirl said...

Sista, I feel the same. I tell kids that's it's ok to cry, but I feel that it is a weakness when I cry. Isn't that odd?

Anonymous said...

Very odd sista, I wonder if it's what we each have been through in our lifetimes. I know after I was grown and married the first time, tears were not welcomed or understood. Who knows?

Anonymous said...

Get rid of double standards for yourself, reinasis. To be in the helping profession, you must be able to work on practicing what you preach. It's difficult, yes, but we cannot expect things of ourselves that we don't expect and/or allow of others.

Sometimes, you just have to cry. I think it comes as an accumulation of letting things build up ... sometimes because you've tried hard to be strong for too long. Every once in a while, the dam has to break, you know?

I miss you guys! I'm glad to see you updated your blog.