Sunday, May 17, 2009

Birthday surprise

Man, it's hard to believe that I've hit the big 5-0. I don't feel like it. After having a pretty good day, my son asked me if I would watch the girls because his wife wanted him to go to her NA meeting with her. I had already gotten them to bed when I received a text message saying to not put them to bed because my son was going to call me and have me bring the girls to meet them for a birthday surprise. He said it would be worth keeping them up. So...I got to wake them up. But, it was worth it. We met at Daybreak coffee and my son and DIL walk up with a young man that I didn't recognize. The young man was my nephew!!! I haven't seen him in at least 8 - 10 years. My nephew had gotten caught up in some things he shouldn't have and spent some time in prison. He was at the NA meeting and my son just happened to see him walk by. I saw my niece a couple of days before (she and her husband and baby stopped by on the way from their home in Tennesee to Phoenix.) She told me then that she didn't know where my nephew was or if he was even alive. My nephew has been in Lubbock for 5 years. He's at a half way house and is working. He saw me on TV for one of our adoption clips and said he thought it was cool. After I gently got on to him for not getting in touch with me, we had a great visit. He's in town and I plan on seeing quite a bit of him. He needs family support. He's had a hard few years, but he's a better guy than he was. This was the best birthday surprise I could have gotten.

1 comment:

sisser said...

Sista, remember to enjoy your 50's and the fact that it only gets better. How wonderful to connect with your nephew again! My hopes are that he stays on the right path and you can continue to get to know him again.