Sunday, May 24, 2009

Flying

I love flying with kids. Especially when it's their first flight. Sometimes they are excited, sometimes they are scared, but I guarantee that there is never a dull moment. I flew with three young men from Lubbock to Dallas to El Paso Friday and will be making the return trip tomorrow. These guys range in age from 8 to a month shy of 15 and had never flown before. When we landed in Dallas the oldest had a headache. Lunch took care of that. The flight from Dallas to El Paso wasn't quite so easy. A storm had moved through the El Paso area earlier and apparently the skies had not quite settled down. There was some up and down movements as the plane hit air pockets. The 8 year old was sitting with me. His stomach started hurting and I just put my arm around him and held him close until we landed. Unbeknownst to us, while this was going on, the 10 year old, sitting with his older brother right behind us, was in the process of...well, to us his words, "I barfed." Now, I know how useful those little white bags in the seat pocket are. But, they recovered well and I left them at their pre-placement visit running and playing. I hope tomorrow's flights are smooth.

2 comments:

sisser said...

Sista, I hope the flight home is better, you do have a unique job, so many firsts you get to experience with "your" kids.

Reinagirl said...

Thank you, sista. You're right, I do get to experience a lot of firsts with "my" kids. That's one of the reasons that I like my job as much as I do.