Monday, March 30, 2009

Windblown

It's March and it's West Texas. Must be track season. I went to the district track meet of a girl on my case load today. They told me that it started at 3:00. My youngest was a track star in Jr. High and High School. Odd that I totally forgot that 3:00 does not mean 3:00 in track time. I arrived at 3:45 and the running events still had not started. No surprise there. Also no surprise that the wind was blowing about 30 mph and it was getting cold. Of course I didn't bring a jacket with me. But, one of the wonderful things about small town track parents is that a total stranger handed me a jacket and told me to wear it. I don't think there are any nicer people anywhere. The smell of the hamburgers being grilled for the concession stand was awesome. The cheering of the parents was wonderful. The great thing about track is that parents actually praise not only their own children for doing well, but other children, also...even those on opposing teams. And there are always cheers for that last struggling runner. My girl took a first in the 400 m relay and a 4th in the 100 m dash. Not bad for a 7th grader at her first district meet. The future looks bright...even if it is windy.

1 comment:

sisser said...

What a fun afternoon for everyone. I haven't been to a track event in years, but am very glad to know parents and others still cheer for all the runners. Sista, I applaud you for doing the all the extras you do for all "your" kids.