Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Open spaces

As I was down Hwy 86 from Tulia to Childress this morning, it occurred to me that people who live in large cities really miss out. The wide open spaces of West Texas are beautiful. I had skipped breakfast, so as I was driving through Silverton, I decided to stop at Allsups. I didn't see anything that I wanted to eat, but I did get a Diet Dr. Pepper. Turning left onto the highway, I found it interesting that there wasn't a single car driving down the road. Silverton seems to be a quiet, little town, even though it is the county seat. The courthouse is right on the highway and it looked deserted. As I drove through Quitaque, I had to slow down for traffic (if three vehicles constitute traffic.) You know it is small town West Texas when the posted speed limit is 30, but all cars are topping out at 25. I haven't driven this highway before, so I was pleasantly surprised to find that halfway between Quitaque and Turkey there is a drive-in theater named, appropriately enough, Midway. It was almost 11:00 as I approached Turkey, so I thought I might find a Sonic or something along that order and get a snack. Well, imagine my surprise when all I find is an Allsups. I didn't think there would be anything in Allsups that I would want since I didn't see anything in the Allsups in Silverton that I wanted. I had no idea that the population of Turkey is less than 500. This is Bob Wills town after all. Where do all the tourists eat? I knew the next town on the map wouldn't have a fast food joint. Estelline has less than 200 people, so I resolved to have lunch in Childress. I'm not even close to the point of starvation, right? I really do enjoy driving the back roads. Small towns have character. I am not as fond of the drive at night, as I don't like to play chicken with the deer. One close encounter with a deer on the highway is one close encounter too many.

4 comments:

sisser said...

Sista, I too love the back roads and small towns. Small towns have always held a fascination for me, and I've lived in several. Wouldn't a back roads road trip be fun?

Reinagirl said...

A back roads road trip would be awesome. Think of all the trouble, ummm, great things we could do.

philbare said...

I am a retired school administrator living with my wife in Quitaque. Both my wife and I were reared in Quitaque and find it a wonderful place to return to for retirement. We own and manage a 6,000 ranch in the caprock country southwest of Quitaque. We have a guest house and RV hookups for horseback riders.

It is always so interesting to get an "outsiders" prospective of our communities. We are so glad you were able to enjoy some of the local back roads and hope you can come through again soon.

By the way, there are two cafes in Quitaque and two cafes in Turkey. They are not fastfood joints but you hardly ever have to wait in line. Their food is considerably better than Allsups.

Also, beautiful Caprock Canyons State Park is just 3 miles north of Quitaque. "The best kept secret in Texas." Quitaque: Gateway to the Canyonlands

I enjoyed your blog. Come again!

Reinagirl said...

I did enjoy driving through the area. I plan to return when I have more time to enjoy the towns. Thanks for the added information on the area.